One of the best garden decoration ideas is by applying a bird bath. Bird bath is perfect to you who want to make your garden more attractive and interesting. With bird bath, it can attract birds to come. You can buy or even make your own bird bath. Anyway, you have to maintain and clean it regularly. Therefore, in this article we will discuss about how to clean a bird bath. So, you need to pay attention to this.
The Importance of Cleaning a Bird Bath
Before discussing farther about the methods to clean a bird bath, it will be better to know why we should clean a bird bath first. Besides the colorful bird baths, it should also be clean. Cleaning a bird bath is needed because it can keep your garden clean. Besides that, it can also keep birds coming because the bird bath will stay interesting. Farther more, it relates to the health, too. For birds, they can drink the healthy water. For us, keeping the bird bath clean also means, that we prevent various diseases caused by mosquitos, flies, and other insects. That is why it is very important to clean up a bird bath regularly.
bird take a bath in bird bath
How to Minimize a Dirty Bird Bath
It is important to know how to clean a bird bath. However, it is more important to know how to minimize a dirty bird bath. So, you do not need to clean it up too often. Here are the tips that you should follow:
- When you refill the bird bath, it is not recommended to add water. However, it will be better to remove the stagnant water. Then, refill with the new water.
- You should place the bird bath away from the bird feeder. Therefore, there will not be spilled seeds that land in the water of the bird bath.
- Place the bird bath at a shady area. This is very effective to minimize algae to grow and also slow the evaporation.
- Make sure that the bird bath is located in clean area where it will not be clogged by falling leaves, grass clippings, or other debris.
With those tips, you can keep your bird bath clean longer. However, you will still need to maintain and clean it up regularly. That is why you must know how to maintain a bird bath.
Steps How to Clean a Bird Bath
Now, it is time to know step by step how to clean a bird bath. Before that, you need to prepare the following materials:
- White vinegar
- Rubber gloves
- Scrub brush
You need to wear a pair of gloves because it functions to avoid contamination protect your hands from fecal matter in the stagnant water or also from the bird bath surface. After the materials above are prepared completely, now you need to follow the instructions how to clean up a bird bath below:
- Remove the stagnant or old water on the bird bath
The first step how to clean a bird bath is to remove the old water. Adding water will be useless. The stagnant water may also not be healthy so that you have to replace with the fresh one.
- Remove any debris on the bird bath
If you do not clean up your bird bath for a few days, you usually find seeds, debris, feces, or may be other contaminations on the bird bath. You have to remove it all.
- Clean up using water and vinegar
After you remove water and debris from the bird bath, now you have to clean it up. What you need to do is to mix water and vinegar. Do not forget to wear the gloves. Then, scrub the bird bath with the mixture of water and vinegar. Make sure that you scrub any area where birds may land, bathe, drink, or perch. It includes the lip, basin, and may be other areas. If needed, you may need to soak vinegar to the bird bath for a few minutes. However, you have to make sure that there is no bird that comes. You can consider covering it with plastic.
- Rinse the bird bath cleanly
To rinse the bird bath, you can use running water until it is really clean. Make sure that any persistent foaming does not exist.
- Let it dry
After the bird bath is clean, leave it for a few minutes or hours until it is becomes dry. You do not need to dry it up using dry cloth. Just let it dry under the sun.
- Refill the bath
When the bird bath is clean and dry, you can refill it with new water. Make sure that you use clean and fresh water.
That is all how to clean a bird bath. It is simple, is not it? So, you should do this regularly if you apply a bird bath at your garden.
Tips in Cleaning a Bird Bath
Cleaning a bird bath should be done as effective as possible. For the best result, there are some tips that you need to follow:
- Clean the bird bath 2 to 3 times a week regularly. It depends on how many birds who usually come.
- Use a pressure hose or jet for regular cleaning.
- Clean the bird bath entirely including the bowl, post, and other areas.
- Use enzymes that are approved for wildlife consumption where you can buy it at a bird supply store. It functions to minimize the growth of algae.
- Keep the bird bath full of water. It does not only attract birds but also avoid pollutants.
That is all how to clean a bird bath. How to clean a bird bath can be done easily. However, you have to follow the important tips for the effective result. If possible, you also need to minimize dirty bird bath. Actually, the cleaning method should be adjusted to the materials of the bird bath like granite bird baths. Sometimes, you need to scrub it. However, some materials avoid you to scrub it. So, you have to clean it up carefully. Hopefully this will help you to keep your bird bath clean and it will always attract birds every day.